[Fedora-music-list] [PlanetCCRMA] Music Spin

Mon Jul 19 16:57:47 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-07-19 at 13:46 -0300, Bernardo Barros wrote:
> For this low-level task some engineering would be required? I'm not
> this kind of guy who know much about tasks scheduling and priorities
> (kernel level) but some people told me that real-time kernels patches
> could slow down Fedora and I should not use it.

Did those people by any chance provide you with _numbers_ that tell you
exactly what part of the kernel is impacted and by how much? (and, who
are they?) My guess is probably not.

Yes, perhaps the rt patches could affect performance. Maybe. In some
subsystems (disk i/o, network come to mind). Maybe by a few %, in some
specific situations. I don't think the impact will be something you will
notice unless you measure it.

But of course, if you do audio work that would benefit from small buffer
sizes and low latency, the improvement you will get from the rt patches
will offset any impact in overall performance of the workstation (if
there is any).

-- Fernando