[Fedora-music-list] Default Desktop Environment

Brendan Jones brendan.jones.it at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 18:05:20 UTC 2012

On 02/11/2012 06:53 PM, Nikos Roussos wrote:
> On Feb 11, 2012 6:05 PM, "Orcan Ogetbil" <oget.fedora at gmail.com
> <mailto:oget.fedora at gmail.com>> wrote:
>  >
>  > On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 10:15 AM, Brendan Jones wrote:
>  > > Hi all,
>  > >
>  > > I've been thinking about what kind desktop environment would best
> suit the
>  > > needs of audio users.
>  > >
>  > > Since the Gnome 3 release I've kind of abandoned GNOME as it
> doesn't really
>  > > quite gel with my workflow. Since then I've been hovering over
> KDE/XFCE, but
>  > > the latest mongrel openbox (mixture of xfce4/qt-razor) setup I'm
> using now
>  > > seems to be winning.
>  > >
>  > > The qt razor project seems really exciting [1] - I've found the
> components
>  > > to be really quite mature but alas a little sparse. Razor is not in the
>  > > repos yet but there is talk of including it and it is under heavy
>  > > development [2]. I'm wondering if razor could be used as the
> default desktop
>  > > for an audio spin? If the desktop team ever decide to endorse a
> Razor spin
>  > > we could leverage off their efforts as well.
>  > >
>  > > Jus thinking aloud - let me know what you think
>  > >
>  > > Brendan
>  > >
>  > > [1]
>  > >
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home://TI_Eugene://QtDesktop/Fedora_16/
>  > > [2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Razor-qt_Spin
>  >
>  > Experience says, desktop environment (DE) and text editor preference
>  > discussions can easily shift into religious debates. Frankly I haven't
>  > tried Gnome3, but I always found Gnome2 so counter-intuitive that I
>  > doubt I will ever bother installing Gnome3.
>  >
>  > I have a very subjective tendency towards using Qt based environments,
>  > perhaps because I code in Qt. I will take a look at what you proposed,
>  > as it seems interesting.
>  >
>  > On the other hand, I have a feeling that whoever spends the most
>  > effort to build the spin, gets the choose the default DE. At least
>  > this is the way things usually go in the free software world.
>  >
>  > Best,
>  > Orcan
>
> Some people will prefer Gnome, others KDE, others Xfce, etc. I don't
> think there is a DE that's best for audio users. So I don't see why we
> should make a spin with a different DE than the one the Fedora community
> has chosen for the default LiveCD.

Well, I think it really depends on what we are trying to achieve.
Personally I think the smaller we can make the image the better. I
haven't taken any real measurements yet but perhaps the others who
walked down this road before have a better idea of which desktop
inflicts the biggest storage footprint?  Obviously anaconda will allow
anyone to pull in whatever they want at install time, but I think its
important to be able to showcase the software selection in a live CD.
That restricts space somewhat.

Older systems will also benefit from using a somewhat lighter desktop.
This is all just my opinion ...

Brendan