[Fedora-music-list] Call to arms - Fedora Audio Spin

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Thu Feb 23 07:20:49 UTC 2012

Christopher,

On 2012-02-23 17:15, Christopher R. Antila wrote:

> On 02/22/2012 04:05 AM, Philip Rhoades wrote:
>> Christopher,

>> That hasn't been my experience - after much pain over the last few
>> years with audio,  the first thing I do is remove PA and just use
>> ALSA . . but I am an audio guru wannabe . .
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Phil.
>
> If "the first thing [you] do" is literally remove PulseAudio, then
> how
> would you know whether it works? Okay okay... you probably meant
> something like "I'm still waiting for PulseAudio to improve on my
> computer."
>
> But that's the real issue. In our ideal world, PulseAudio would
> coexist happily with JACK for every user. There are definitely
> problems to sort out, but the Right Thing To Do is ensure everything
> works together for everybody. I'd be happy with a a well-documented,
> easy-to-use method of removing PulseAudio. But this is Fedora, and at
> Fedora we aim for ideal situations and get there a few releases
> later.
>
> Ultimately I'll be happy with whatever the community decides to do,
> as
> long as everybody has a chance to participate. So why doesn't
> PulseAudio work for you? Can we make it work?

Perhaps I am being a little unfair - a few years ago, after getting a
new MB: Intel DG45ID I found it had a problem with the drivers (?) that
resulted in a Mic/LineIn reversal - it took me AGES to figure out a way
of getting it to work - PA was an unnecessary complicating layer in this
case.  So I guess it was a case of sticking with what I knew would work
from thereafter . .

Regards,

Phil.
--