Ad policy

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 02:55:29 UTC 2008

Hello FWN editors,

When I hooked you up with the folks from Red Hat's training sales
group, it was with the best of intentions.  Naturally, the people who
are interested in Fedora are probably also interested in Linux
training, and that probably means Red Hat certification too.  Having
them advertise an offer that directly benefited part of our global
community and rewarded them for their work in free software seemed
like a no-brainer to me.  I brought that idea here to the FWN editors,
openly and publicly in the Fedora way, and left the decision with you.

However, I realize now that some community members might see running
that ad as a strange entanglement between Red Hat and Fedora.  While I
may not agree with that viewpoint, I can understand it.  The FWN goes
out on our mailing lists, and if we allowed unrestricted ads elsewhere
on the mailing lists, assuming anyone wanted to run such ads, it would
undoubtedly upset a lot of people.

However, if FWN had a clear ad policy, that might help alleviate such
concerns in the future.  I think the FWN editorial staff should talk
with their contributors here, and decide on some sort of advertisement
policy for the FWN.  I'm not here to dictate that policy to you,
because you're the ones who make FWN happen every week.  It's a very
important service to the community, and one I and many other community
members make use of regularly.  We're very grateful for your efforts,
and I think you're the best judges of how to handle this matter.

If you have any questions, I remain on this list, as always, and I'm
happy to help.  Thanks, and I apologize for the bother.