Decisions on FWN leadership

Oisin Feeley oisinfeeley at imapmail.org
Wed Jul 2 01:47:01 UTC 2008

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 21:16:52 -0400 (EDT), "Max Spevack"
<mspevack at redhat.com> said:
> On Tue, 1 Jul 2008, Oisin Feeley wrote:
>
> > I'm a bit miffed that this decision appears to have been handled as
> > though it were "in the gift" of Max, as oppposed to a more open
> > discussion.  I realize that this smacks of thwarted ambition -- but
> > that's because it is!  I've devoted a significant amount of time to
> > FWN over the past year or so, and I don't like the feeling that
> > marketing, or whoever, is parachuting in a new direction without
> > discussion from this community.
>
> Oisin,
>
> If you are to be annoyed with anyone, you should be annoyed with me.

Thanks for the courteous and fair response Max.  I was miffed rather
than
annoyed, so imagine undergarments in a twist if you can bear the image.

Thanks for being generous enough to take whatever blame I attributed
onto
your shoulders.  I had no feeling of annoyance at Pascal or Huzaifa at
all, just a disappointed feeling that I had been sidelined after
expressing
interest.  I see how that came about with the many tasks that you
juggle.

> So here we are.  We have a number of *enthusiastic* contributors, and I
> am not here to bless a single person or persons as "FWN Editor".  I
> don't know that we even *need* an official editor.  The way I see it,
> the duties that need to be filled are:
>
> 1) Someone who nags people to get their beats done.
>
> 2) Someone who compiles the Overview page.
>
> 3) ANY NUMBER OF PEOPLE who do editorial passes over the Beats pages and
> edit for content, voice, etc.
>
> 4) Someone who actually sends FWN to the fedora-announce-list and also
> puts it on their blog.
>
> None of these roles need to be filled by the same person.  I think there
> are plenty of opportunities for shared leadership and accountability.

I like the idea of dividing up this work and would point out that there
is
a massive need for what I would consider the core editorial tasks,
namely
those covered by your point #3 (which Karsten tried to kickstart).

> Can the three of you figure out a way to divide up the duties that I
> mentioned above (or any others that I forgot) in a way that can make
> sure everyone feels like their contributions are valued?

I'm sure that we can, and indeed if there are other contributors waiting
out there who feel that they'd like to help in editing then it would be
great to hear from them too.

I'm specifically volunteering to do #2 and also to take a pass over
another 2 contributors' material.  I can't bear to edit my own (again,
for
the umpteenth time) by the time that deadline comes around and find it
easier to spot minor problems with other people's writing at that stage.

I guess if three of us do two each then that's six beats edited.

Oisin
--
  Oisin Feeley
  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/OisinFeeley