Mark Bell

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 14:15:12 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-25 at 10:00 -0400, Pascal Calarco wrote:
> There are various accounts that need to be established, and I found all
> of this a bit opaque when I first joined the Fedora Project, so I will
> try to document the whole thing here, and, if this makes sense, I'll
> take responsibility to add this to the NewsProject/Join page, pointing
> to other pages where this makes sense.

Great idea Pascal!

> We use wiki software to write the beats now, although in the future we
> are looking at moving to a blog format so we can syndicate stories out
> w/RSS, which isn't possible in an easy way right now.
>
> In order to contribute to the wiki, it is first a requirement that you
> establish a Fedora Infrastructure account.  Here's where to request a
> new account, and there are additional steps such as generating a PGP key
> set and such:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/AccountSystem

I don't think there's a need any longer to bother with GPG/PGP keys.
That was something the old account system required.  The new system is
entirely click-through, and easy as pie.

> Next, you'll need to do to edit pages, is to establish a new wiki
> account, at:
> http://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Userlogin&returnto=FWN

And the wiki uses the same account name and password you just created in
the account system.  Wicked!

> Once you have that set up, add yourself to the Fedora News Project page
> by editing the page and adding yourself to the list at the bottom with
> your wiki account name, which will probably be in the form MarkBell:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/NewsProject
>
> Does one need to join the Ambassadors to join the FWN team?

I don't think it's a requirement.

> Then, you can edit the Marketing Beat, and once you are complete, mark
> the beat as COMPLETE by editing and updating the Beats page.
>
> If you ever can't do a beat due to travel, vacation, or simply too much
> work in other parts of your life, that is no problem at all, just mark
> your beat as NOT HAPPENING for that week, and you can pick it up when
> you have more time.
>
> Then each week just repeat the above! :)
>
> I could do the beat for this week since this will take a few days for
> all of these accounts to get set up, and then you could start on this
> for next week's FWN, if you'd like.
>
> Let me know if this raises any questions, and for other folk on the
> list, please do feel free to correct me on anything here!

This looks like a long set of instructions, but in practice it's
actually quite simple.  And folks here are happy to help if you have
questions or uncertainties.

--
Paul W. Frields