FWN Issue 136

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Sun Jul 27 20:00:11 UTC 2008

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008, Pascal Calarco wrote:

> One other style issue is that we should probably edit for a common
> tense through the entire issue.  Some beat writers have been writing
> in present tense with others writing in past tense.  Max's
> announcements is in present tense in this issue for example, while
> others are in the past tense.  Since we're covering developments over
> the past week, I might suggest that we write/edit everything in the
> past tense.  Sound okay to everyone?

Sure, past tense from now on!  I need to go back and look at the tense I
wrote the Planet Beat in... my guess would be past, since I wrote that
in one big chunk on Saturday, but I do the announcements beat each day
as messages come through, which is probably why I wrote it in present
tense.

But standardizing on tense is a very good idea.

> Looking back at the fedora-announce archives, this practice changed
> from Thomas Chung's last issue (128) and the first one Max edited
> (129) [2].  I agree that it is better that we push out the entire
> issue with all of the text to fedora-announce.  Max et. al.: does
> anyone feel strongly that we should only push the short announcement
> for FWN announcements instead of the full text of the issue?

Well, let's just go back to the way Thomas used to do it, then.  The
change was probably just an oversight on my part.

Thanks for all your editing work this week, team!  It makes me very
happy to see Fedora Weekly News still thriving and doing well.

One style question for the editors:

I changed the way I write the Planet beat this week, moving it to more
of a narrative with links embedded than a straight up "So and so said
$FOO".  Which way do you like better?

--Max