"Shark" JIT correction [was: Re: [Fwd: FWN/Issue133]]

Oisin Feeley oisinfeeley at imapmail.org
Mon Jul 28 12:12:29 UTC 2008

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 09:19:25 +0100, "Gary Benson" <gbenson at redhat.com>
said:
> Oisin Feeley wrote:
> > I really appreciate the time that Gary took to clear up this
> > confusion...
>
> No problem :)  It's kind of a minefield!

<snip more corrections>

Second time's the charm ;) Thanks again Gary.  I have made further
corrections and the below is what will go out.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Beats/Developments#Erratum:_FWN.23133_.22Shark.22_is_a_JIT_not_a_VM

Erratum: FWN#133 "Shark" is a JIT not a VM

Gary Benson kindly corrected an error in FWN#133 "Java, So Many Free
Choices"[1] which reported on the work being done by Red Hat engineers
to expand the availability of a FOSS Java across more architectures. The
gist of the correction is that Shark is not a Virtual Machine(VM) as
stated in the article. Gary explained that OpenJDK is composed of a VM
named HotSpot and a class library. HotSpot runs on a limited number of
architectures and so there have been two independent attempts to
increase VM coverage. One of these is pre-existing project named CACAO
which is a VM whose maintainers are implementing the OpenJDK class
interface. The other is a Red Hat initiative named zero to remove
architecture-specific code from HotSpot in order to make compilation on
diverse platforms easier. As zero is slow and in need of a JIT. This JIT
could well end up being Shark. Thanks to Gary for taking the time to
clarify this point. We encourage readers to correct important technical
issues and misunderstandings and can be contacted via
"news at fedoraproject.org".

[1]
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue133#Java.2C_So_Many_Free_Choices
--