Headings numbering, visible anchors

Tim Landscheidt tim at tim-landscheidt.de
Mon Mar 3 18:41:31 UTC 2008

"Thomas Chung" <tchung at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

>>  I read Fedora Weekly News as plain text, and one thing that
>>  has bothered me for some time is that while the headings in
>>  the table of contents are numbered, the headings in the text
>>  "body" are not. Besides, there are several lines à la
>>  "[[Anchor(Marketing)]]" in the text whose presence looks un-
>>  wanted.

>>   Would it be possible to correct these mistakes? I'd have
>>  happily provided patches, but I have not found the script
>>  used to convert the newsletter to plain text.

> Thank you for your feedback.
> However that's not a mistake but a feature of wiki.
> We're trying to accommodate both text email readers and wiki readers.
> Numbers  in TOC is generated automatically by the wiki system.
> Anchors are there so wiki users and translators  can refer to a section easily.
> For example, http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue122#Marketing

Yes, but anchors are of no use in plain text emails, and I
do not complain about the numbering in the TOC but of the
lack hereof in the body. To illustrate, the current issue
starts with:

| = Fedora Weekly News Issue 122 =

| [...]

|    1. Announcements
|          1. Fedora Board IRC meeting 2008-03-04
| [...]

| [[Anchor(Announcements)]]
| == Announcements ==

| In this section, we cover announcements from Fedora Project.

| Contributing Writer: ThomasChung

| === Fedora Board IRC meeting 2008-03-04 ===

| PaulFrields announces in fedora-announce-list[1],

| [...]

I'd propose - in plain text emails - to leave out the
"[[Anchor(Announcements)]]" line, and change
"== Announcements ==" to "== 1. Announcements ==" and
"=== Fedora Board IRC meeting 2008-03-04 ===" to
"=== 1.1. Fedora Board IRC meeting 2008-03-04 ===".

  I think it is useful to provide the numbering in the body,
because it is the only way the reader can easily find the
section whose title he saw in the TOC.

Tim

--
Tim Landscheidt          Voice: +49 40 60816408,
                                +49 179 2258485
Washingtonallee 44       eMail: tim at tim-landscheidt.de
DE-22111 Hamburg         ICQ:   #66781347