microblog accounts

Oisin Feeley oisinfeeley at imapmail.org
Tue Nov 25 00:16:23 UTC 2008

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 13:52:53 -0800, "Karsten Wade" <kwade at redhat.com>
said:
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 02:24:09PM -0500, Oisin Feeley wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 09:54:46 -0800, "Karsten Wade" <kwade at redhat.com>
> > said:
> > >
> > > From here, I think we should share the accounts as a group usage so
> > > that people working on Fedora News and Fedora Magazine have access to
> > > push *any* updates.  Then we advertize the identi.ca link in FWN,
> > > etc. and see if people use it. :)
> >
> > Probably Fedora Magazine should have its own account so that it's easier
> > to filter content to just the news, or news + other content.
>
> Reckon what I was thinking ... microblogging is similar to a "news
> flash" and figured we could all share.  But perhaps the Magazine wants
> it's own account for e.g. conferences, etc.

Probably makes sense. I guess I was still thinking along the lines of
RSS/Atom.

> > If any of this is going to be done then it would be nice to have someone
> > take responsibility for it /before/ announcing any live feeds. E.g. the
> > Fedora Magazine feed appears to have solely #147 and #148 which makes it
> > look as though we've come to a stop.  I'd prefer to have no RSS feed
> > rather than one which is advertised widely and then makes it look as
> > though we've fallen off the map, when in fact we're working hard to push
> > out an issue every week.
>
> I understand what you mean in concept, but don't understand the
> specific example?  What got stopped in there?

I really don't know.  I don't follow it too closely due to time, but a
couple of people asked me what was going on. I haven't gotten involved
with FM as it just seems like doubling up on busy-work that could be
spent on content generation. I can understand that wrapping up all the
news in one spot might be nice but I'd be perfectly happy with our wiki
page with ATOM/RSS, microblogs, tumblelogs pointing to it. I was a bit
irked that some people thought we'd been on break since #148.

> > > Who all should have access to the account?
> >
> > Whoever is going to guarantee to do the monotonous, weekly task of
> > ensuring that the updates flow out week-after-week.
>
> Ah, actually ... what I had in mind was to spread the account access,
> maybe to _every_ FWN Beat writer + others who do marketing.  Make it
> lively by having regular updates from multiple people appearing as one
> Fedora News microblogging voice.

I like that idea.  Spreading access is what we should be trying to do.

> For example, when things get really heated in f-devel-l, you could
> send an alert and pull more people in to the fight/audience. ;-D

:) Kind of like throwing a can of gas on a raging fire to see what
happens!

> What I'd recommend is that the address for password recovery be set to
> whoever is main wrangler/editor for FWN.  This is all un-automatic
> stuff, but a way to start, and we can look in to more robust methods
> later.
>
> Anyway, accounts secured, what and how figuring goes on ...

I signed us up for a couple of tumblr addresses and will make contact
with Thomas about the Feedburner stuff tonight.

Best wishes,
--
  Oisin Feeley
  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/OisinFeeley