Workflows: Impact of style changes.

Dale Bewley dlbewley at lib.ucdavis.edu
Fri Feb 6 21:40:23 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 21:31 -0500, Oisin Feeley wrote:
> I asked in our recent IRC meeting about workflows and was told that most
> people just edit the wiki directly. More power to you!  I think I would
> go nuts trying to do that.  I have been using the following chain of
> tools.
>
> Writing my Beat:
> 1. LyX -> 2. ASCII export -> 3. Vim -> 4. Firefox with "It's All Text"
> extension to edit wiki.

I have a blank copy of the wiki text for my beat which I insert to get
started. I use "It's All Text" to fire up gvim and begin editing.

I browse through the mailing list archives and copy interesting threads.
I wish there were some header in the emails in my inbox which would let
me derive their archive URL...

> As things stand now I have a nice dictionary of users and their camel
> case names and Vim warns me with highlighting if there's a completely
> new name. This saves me time in searching/checking names. If there's no

In all my years I have never bothered to learn about macros in vi. Care
to share how you do that? If I can keep a dictionary of name to username
mappings and quickly/easily reference it with a macro, that may be a
tolerable level of pain.

> The references change means that using LyX is now no longer necessary. I
> can just cut out that step and use Vim.  As far as I'm concerned that's
> great. The only possible thing is that I need to figure out a way to
> fold/hide the reference so that it's visually less intrusive inline and
> I can concentrate on the flow of the text.

I'm very happy with the references change. Wow. Why didn't we think of
that earlier. :)

--
Dale Bewley - Unix Administrator - Shields Library - UC Davis
GPG: 0xB098A0F3 0D5A 9AEB 43F4 F84C 7EFD  1753 064D 2583 B098 A0F3