Anyone know how to get rid of these ugly html character entities?

Oisin Feeley oisinfeeley at imapmail.org
Thu Feb 12 17:01:29 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Heads up to the other editors preparing the mailshot:

I see that the LWN.net[1] copy of FWN#162 has some ugly HTML numeric
character references. The little upwards arrow[2] which is used on the
wikipage to allow readers to jump back to the text seems not to be
replaced with a code when it's processed through maillists. Anyone got
any ideas of how to get rid of this?  All I can think of was using vim
to manually find the hex for the multibyte character (positioned cursor
over up-arrow and did a :ga and got 2191 as the hex code) and then
substituting over the entire file using a:
% s/CTRL-v u 2191//g

It's no biggie, but I'd rather not have an extra editing step if anyone
can suggest something automated.

[1] http://lwn.net/Articles/318707/
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/entities.html : <!ENTITY uarr
CDATA "&#8593;" -- upwards arrow, U+2191 ISOnum-->

Best,
--
  Oisin Feeley
  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/OisinFeeley