Fedora Journal?

Jonathan Roberts jonrob at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jul 10 19:49:28 UTC 2009

> The thought of splitting each article up into a wordpress post for
> instance adds some overhead doesn't sound appealing.

I whole heartedly agree, and personally think that to split articles
up into separate WP posts would be terrible!

The point of this exercise, really, is to determine the work flow and
tools that the news team requires, and to see if we can make that fit
into a shared instance with news and other content producers so, like
you say further down, we can maximise exposure and provide a central
location for users who don't follow so closely to get all the Fedora
info they can get their hands on :) We don't want to do anything that
will negatively effect the news team or other parts of the project...

> There's something very convenient about loading a whole wiki page into
> vi with the "It's All Text" plugin. I enjoy the free form large block of
> text I can spend a few days or hours working on and reordering sections
> and so on.

No reason why we can't do something similar with WP, Zikula or
whatever we use. A worst case would be it gets submitted to an editor
in plain text who then formats it all for publishing, but this is
*worst case*.

> Also, the weekly nature of FWN makes it easier to commit to. I can
> imagine if contributions were expected to flow in on an ad hoc basis it
> would be easy for some of us procrastinators to never get around to
> posting anything.

Again, agreed, and there's no reason that couldn't still be the case...

> Having whined all that, my concerns are primarily with workflow. Broader
> exposure, RSS and all that stuff is good. But let's try to keep things
> as simple as possible.

Whining is good, but perhaps phrase it in terms of requirements to
make it *easier* (or at least equally easy as now) for the News team
to keep doing the excellent job it does on the wiki page linked in my
last message.

Kindly,

Jon