Fedora Insight sprint summary: 2010-02-28

Pascal Calarco pcalarco at nd.edu
Sun Feb 28 13:01:50 UTC 2010

Simon Birtwhistle (itbegins), Hiemanshu Sharma (hiemanshu), Pascal
Calarco (pcalarco), Karsten Wade (quaid), David Nalley (ke4qqq), and Jon
Stanley (jds2001) got together at various points on #fedora-meeting-1
throughout the day yesterday to work on Fedora Insight.

  Minutes:
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting-1/2010-02-27/fedora-meeting-1.2010-02-27-17.12.html

  Minutes (text):
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting-1/2010-02-27/fedora-meeting-1.2010-02-27-17.12.txt

  Log:
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting-1/2010-02-27/fedora-meeting-1.2010-02-27-17.12.log.html

Here is a very brief summary that leaves out much detail.  The team
accomplished an amazing amount of work with kudos particularly going to
Simon and Hiemanshu for doing the bulk of the work.

The team structured work around a set of TRAC tickets:

1. Upgrading Publictest6
-------------------------

The main work concentrated on upgrading the Zikula instance on
publictest6, from 1.1.2 to 1.2.2.  Simon upgraded this by hand, while
Hiemanshu packaged the new Zikula 1.2.2.  A new version (0.40) of the
Zikula module, pagemaster, was also installed on pt6.  Once an RPM
package was ready to review, a note was sent off to David Nalley, who
joined in the channel a bit later.

2. Repository for Zikula 1.2.2
------------------------------

A discussion ensued about packaging guidelines and whether an exception
could be made for Zikula 1.2.2 around one of the deprecated
Zikula-specific bundled libraries included in the package,
zikula-php-gettext that had some packaging and licensing issues.  Jon
Stanley joined shortly thereafter as well.  A new TRAC ticket came out
of this discussion (thank you, Karsten):

3. Pagemaster templating
------------------------

Hiemanshu and Simon worked together to next focus on customizing the UI
templates for pagemaster, a Zikula module that the key for the content
model and workflow that we need for Fedora Insight.

The first content we are focusing on is that of Fedora Weekly News
(FWN), and so we worked on customizing the templates for that workflow,
with a more generic set of templates and workflow defined for general
news items.  In Pagemaster terms, these are different publication types
and templates, with different workflow defined for each.

4. Iterative testing with FWN Content
-------------------------------------

Pascal Calarco started loaded past FWN individual beats, and the team
worked on having the template aggregate these into a given FWN Issue on
Fedora Insight.  The two different workflows were used for this: FWN
pubtype for individual FWN beats, and then creating a posting for the
front page of Fedora Insight pointing to the aggregated issue:

http://publictest6.fedoraproject.org/zikula/index.php?module=pagemaster&tid=4
(requires FAS test authentication)

http://publictest6.fedoraproject.org/zikula/

We substantially completed the FWN workflow, although a couple more TRAC
tickets will be opened up and worked on to further finesse the workflow,
create RSS functionality, and other items.

In the short term, none of the workflow from the FWN beat writers
perspective needs to change; the change is that the FWN editor reposts
content to Fedora Insight once it is posted.  The Fedora Insight
proposed workflow for FWN (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/FIWorkFlow)
will be updated to reflect the outcomes.

What remains:

* upgrading Zikula and pagemaster on staging
* moving over database from pt6 to staging to reflect template customization
* creating RSS functionality for FWN at the beat and issue level
* defining and documenting authorization levels between conten
contributors, editors, administrators
* tweaking the FWN pubtype Admin menu to improve editing efficiency
* discussing, decisioning and documenting standards for FWN content from
wiki source
* testing generic news pubtype with other content

A huge thanks to Simon Birtwhistle (Zikula.org) and Hiemanshu Sharma
(Fedora Marketing), and Karsten Wade (Logistics/Community
Infrastructure) for the amazing amount of work we accomplished
yesterday!  Lots of work to do yet, but we made substantial progress on
the core infrastructure for Fedora Insight.

   - pascal

-----
Pascal Calarco
Editor, Fedora Weekly News