FWN: Announcement Beat

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Mar 22 16:44:37 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-22 at 09:49 -0400, Pascal Calarco wrote:
> On 03/22/2010 09:35 AM, Rashadul Islam wrote:
> > Dear Editors:
> >
> > The announcement beat will be updated within 36 hours from now.
> > Please hold the announcements.
> >

> > Thanking you,
> >
> > Rashadul Islam
> > irashadul at gmail.com
> > rislam at irc.freenode.net
> > GPG KEY: 5557BFAC
> > Fingerprint=CFB7 CAEC 157A 308A F9CE CE00 3620 8084 5557 BFAC
> > url: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RashadulIslam
>
> Hi Rashadul and FWN Team --
>
> The beats are usually submitted by sometime before about 18:00 UTC on
> Mondays, and usually what beat writers do is if they can't get a beat
> in by then, we skip that week and hold for the following week.
>
> As of right now, we only have two beats in, Planet and Security
> Advisories.
>
> Are there other writers who also need more time?  Larry, Adam W.,
> Neville, Ryan, what are your plans for this issue?  We have a couple
> choices:

I'm about half-way done, was planning to get it in within an hour or
two.

> 1) Change FWN release date to be Tuesday or Wednesday this week only
> 2) Change FWN release date to be Tuesday or Wednesday permanently, to
> give people more time at the beginning of the week to complete their
> beats
> 3) Skip this next issue if we do not have enough content to warrant an
> issue
> 4) Move to a biweekly format (once every two weeks), coming out on
> either Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday
>
> I'd suggest that I have noted a couple trends over the past year or
> so:
>
> 1) some writers are finding it hard to sustain a weekly time
> commitment to produce a beat
> 2) it is hard to attract new beat writers because of the time
> commitment
> 3) there is often not enough content in some beats to warrant a weekly
> beat
>
> I am also cross-posting this to the Marketing list as folks there
> might have some useful ideas.  What would be the impact, do you think,
> of FWN moving to a bi-weekly frequency?  Thanks for everyone's
> thoughts!

I'm not really sure, I think it usually winds up being pretty long at a
weekly format. Weekly works well for QA stuff as that's our schedule. So
personally I'm quite happy with the current setup.

For this week in particular, I can go with today or tomorrow, doesn't
really matter.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey