writing for translation (was Welcome to the "news" mailing list)

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu May 6 16:38:37 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 10:17:40PM -0400, Pascal Calarco wrote:
> Wolfgang, do you mean providing translations of FWN in Brazilian
> Portuguese?  This would be a fantastic service to spreading knowledge
> about Fedora in Brazil.  Thanks for your offer!

This seems like a good time to remind folks about the Docs Team's
style guide:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs_Project_Style_Guide

Writing to make life easier on translators is a useful skill, and the
style guide can help with that.

One important item is to watch out for usage of idioms.  They are
harder to translate, usually requiring an equal idiom in the target
language.  If there is no equal idiom, then it has to be translated
from "idiomatic English" to "non-idiomatic English" by the translator
with our help on this list, then translated to the target language.

- Karsten