libuv tweaks

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Mon May 13 22:37:45 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 5:15 AM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com> wrote:
> I saw today that libuv pushed a patch upstream to enable proper
> setting of the -soname argument when calling 'ld'. I built this change
> in Rawhide, but I'll confess to not being certain enough about how the
> linker works to backport the same change to F19 and earlier. I'm
> concerned it might be an effective soname bump without the
> accompanying filename change.

Unfortunately, the old sed logic to fix the soname still worked
beautifully, thus setting the soname to 0.10.0.10!  After fixing that,
the nodejs built against the previous libuv survived some smoke tests.
 I'll check the native modules we have packaged too, as well as some
we don't (popular ones and ones that use exotic features of libuv like
threads), just to be sure.

I don't see the need to backport this to the other branches
deliberately; it changes nothing for end users.  But if testing holds
up I don't see why it couldn't go in along with the rest of 0.10.6
when the time comes.

> The other change I made was to drop the Bundles(ev) notification, as I
> see that they actually pulled that out of the code quite some time
> ago. Which is excellent.

It most certainly is!  Thanks, Stephen.

-T.C.