New F11-for-XO1 build is available and needs testing

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Aug 2 23:06:41 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 02:39:19PM +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 14:25, James Cameron<quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 11:26:55AM +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> >> What about yum update? Specially as F11 has deltarpm.
> >
> > How can you simply ensure (as a user) that yum update will adopt a
> > specific set of versions that match the build that was done? ?Isn't it
> > simpler to use either olpc-update or the image file?
>
> Sure, it was suggested as an alternative to downloading the image file
> while olpc-update isn't working.

Now you've confused me as well.  So I shall respond by writing more.

I've not yet tried os3.img because it is a substantial proportion of my
download limit for the month.  I'd like to know how to obtain it based
on what I already have.  As we have seen from the RPM package version
comparison, there is very little change.  I'd like to obtain that very
little change and apply it.

The method that was used last year and the year before was olpc-update.
This worked by granting rsync access to an unpacked filesystem for each
image version.  Once the rsync was complete, the filesystem one had
matched the filesystem of the particular image version.  It may well
take more wall-clock time, but it always took far less data.  It may
well keep your internet connection active, but always for less data.

A new method being proposed is a yum update.  This was not used
previously because it did not produce an identical filesystem to a
particular image version, and it could not be anchored to a particular
image version, it could only be updated to the latest version of all
packages.  Therefore it was not a test of an image, but rather a test of
the latest version of all packages.

So, how can you simply ensure that yum update will adopt a specific set
of versions that match the build that was done?

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/