[Sugar-devel] Show Must Go On - SoaS for the XO-1

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Wed Jul 29 02:28:42 UTC 2009

Hi Paul,

On 28 Jul 2009, at 18:55, Paul Fox wrote:

> martin wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 09:58:49PM +0100, Gary C Martin wrote:
>>> 4) Paul Fox's new power scripts were working reasonably well, smooth
>>> screen dimming, sleep, shutdown tweaks, lid close. But much too
>>> intensive for most use; when otherwise idling it would usually
>>> dim, then
>>> wake, them dim, then wake (maybe wireless activity?).
>>
>> Interesting - I hadn't seen this wake -> dim -> wake cycling, even
>> when connected to jabber.sugarlabs.org.  Perhaps this is an old issue
>> now addressed (cross fingers).
>
> powerd will definitely cause this -- it's almost certainly
> correlated with wake-on-wlan.  (i've just been sitting in a
> meeting, with an IRC client running, watching this effect.)  i've
> fixed it so the screen no longer undims on a wlan wakeup, and
> it's much less jarring, visually.  it'll be in the next release.

Fab thanks. If I had a more formal testing session I would have
reported it to you directly, but I've only recently got this XO
running with that build to a state that I was able to use more
regularly.

Incase it rings any bells, thought I'd just mention that screen
dimming has now stopped altogether for me. I've reset powerd pref
changes back to the default but no luck. It still powers off the
screen, but no back-light auto-dimming. The closest I have to narrow
things is that I noticed the dimming seemed to stop after I manually
adjusted the screen brightness with the keyboard (maybe I tried to
adjust it when it was already auto-dimmed, or some such permutation).

Regards,
--Gary