strawberry on XO-1

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Wed Jun 24 13:14:25 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 07:30:27AM -0400, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
> [Because I do not have any system on which mounting of a squashfs
> filesystem works, I have to use the rawhide version of the
> livecd-iso-to-disk script; neither does livecd-iso-to-xo work, so I
> am unable to install builds distributed as .iso onto my XO's nand.]

I have this same issue, and it's terribly annoying.  FYI, I hope we
can get filesystem lzma'd tarballs up (as dsd/OLPC are doing to XO 1.5
builds) somewhere soon to help with this type of thing.  As well we
can get pre-partitioned streams of bits that can be cat'ed to a USB
block device of 1, 2, or 4G so that the whole livecd-iso-to-disk.sh /
decide on drive partitions / etc. can be skipped for the XO build[1].

> Strawberry (F11-based) works; but it is reproducibly stalling when
> doing a huge 'rsync'.  [...] Soas2-20090622 runs the same 'rsync'
> without trouble.

There isn't perhaps a kernel difference or significant memory pressure
difference, is there?  /me wonders aloud about the utility of cgroups
to limit the rsync's memory / cpu usage for diagnosis purposes.

> mikus

Martin

1. For the XO build.  Only.  livecd-iso-to-disk.sh has a lot of
functionality for the non-XO build (home/root overlays,
MBRs/bootable-ness for a variety of BIOS/EFT targets, etc.) that I
don't think we want to decide for our learners/testers/deployers.