olpc-switch-desktop issues

Alexander Boström abo at stacken.kth.se
Sun Jun 28 19:52:25 UTC 2009

Hello,

I'm working on submitting olpc-switch-desktop for inclusion in Fedora. I
(or rather rpmlint) found these issues:

The .spec from the repo, the GNOME .desktop and the Sugar control panel
references a couple of SVG files, but those aren't in the repo. Are
there any suitable icons to use or do someone need to create them?

The .spec creates /etc/skel/Desktop (for the GNOME .desktop file). I
think that breaks the feature that a name from the user's locale is used
when creating the desktop directory (xdg-user-dirs), so that needs to be
done some other way.

Is there a way to place an icon on every user's desktop without poking
around in their ~/Desktop? If not, perhaps the Sugar part can install
the GNOME .desktop file for the user when the user first switches from
Sugar to GNOME? Then it is only done for GNOME users who actually ran
Sugar in the first place (call that a feature or a bug) and by then the
locale is hopefully set correctly so that the desktop directory can be
created the proper way.

Also, the GNOME app should probably have a license declaration at the
top of the source file, or the license should be stated explicitly in
the README.

/abo