JFFS2 compression type 7

Scott Douglass scott at swdouglass.com
Mon Mar 23 06:45:13 UTC 2009

I was loading different kernels, and just switched from 2.6.27+ to
2.6.29+ (rawhide with OLPC patches).

While running my custom 2.6.29-0.256.rc8.git2 kernel, I "init 6" and
start over. Now none of the kernels I've got installed can boot the XO
from NAND. All of them (2.6.25 OLPC, 2.6.27 OLPC and mine) give
various flavors of JFFS2 compression type 7 not supported.

How the heck did I change the compression type on my NAND's JFFS2?

Since no kernels are able to boot my XO now, I'll have to reblast the
NAND. I'm just curious how this could have happened. I've been
experimenting with enabling CONFIG_* options such that I can boot my
custom kernels, and I had got a combination that worked!

I did enable multiple types of compression for JFFS2 however,
including LZO. Could the type of compression be changed on an already
created JFFS2 system, at run time by the kernel modules?