s/GNOME/LXDE/ as alternate desktop?

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Tue Feb 23 08:49:00 UTC 2010

Em 23-02-2010 00:49, Greg DeKoenigsberg escreveu:
> The reason GNOME is an acceptable alternate desktop is because it can
> also run Sugar in its entirety.
(...)
> Now, I have no idea if it's possible to run Sugar under LXDE -- I
> haven't tried, and I know that Sugar relies about a huge chunk of
> GNOME libs.  But it seems possible.

I don't see any reason why GNOME would be particularly better suited
than LXDE, if someone can point me towards why, perhaps I can see if
anything and/or what can be done; other than that, I'm not saying to
exclude libraries, just that the alternate desktop that's running should
be better suited to less powerfull machines.

GNOME (which I use on my desktop/laptop) is fairly memory and cpu
hungry. It is quite evident on the XO. As an alternate desktop it...
mind boggles my mind.

And no, adding swap in an SD card is not a good solution (weariness of
the SD card *and* it will make it quite slow. I have no swap and it's
perfectly usable for email, browsing, chat, viewing PDFs and CBRs.

> It's certainly useful to have a well-functioning LXDE desktop -- but
> if Sugar doesn't run on LXDE, then you don't have the heart of the
> experience for students.

Isn't the idea of an alternate desktop to be able to run "normal" tasks
outside the Sugar environment? Perhaps I got it wrong, but with the
designs of the Sugar environment, running it under GNOME/LXDE/whatever
seems to defeat the purpose a little bit.

> I don't know if it's even possible, but I guess the question I'd ask
> is, "are you willing to try to configure LXDE+Sugar yourself?"
> Because that's exactly how lots of cool stuff happens: someone smart
> says, "yes, that *will* work, and I'll show you."

I don't know if I can do it alone, I'm involved in a lot of stuff already :|

Rui