To Gnome or not to Gnome

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Fri Mar 26 10:20:43 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-03-26 at 01:10 -0700, Yioryos Asprobounitis wrote:

> I really think that the Gnome desktop is a valuable addition for
> the XO but mostly for the end user. Is not a coincidence that
> people use it. So openness and robustness should be implemented
> there too.

> If the problem is the video driver for example, this is what it
> should be fixed, not hampering its use.

You mean the blacked out GTK buttons and corrupt graphics in some web
pages? We have a temporary workaround for these now!

> I can see blocking as a temp measure but only in combination
> with an increased gnome-bug-fixing priority.

Sounds right, but I'm not sure *who* is going to put their time into it.
My goal is to make Sugar rock, therefore I consciously chose not to let
myself distracted by Gnome support issues.

I told the "formadores" that bugs affecting Gnome are not going to be
considered at this time.

> Any user can mess-up its installation. Let's not forget that
> the usual "fixing" for sugar is... reflashing. But here we are
> talking bugs/inadequacies. Bug-fixing should be the way, instead
> of blocking features and Sugar-robustness claims.

I agree here too.