[Sugar-devel] Sugar 0.88 packages

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Thu May 13 20:07:46 UTC 2010

El Thu, 13-05-2010 a las 20:23 +0200, Tomeu Vizoso escribió:

> This implies that we are using the old process because nobody has come
> with a concrete proposal for changing it. AFAICS, the discussion has
> stalled because of lack of interest from its proponents. Once we agree
> on specific changes, the process docs in the wiki will be updated and
> it will come into effect.

Ok, you're clearly in denial :-(

> And I'm supposed to track patches in the ml myself? I thought we
> wanted to reduce the load on the maintainers because we had few?

All the maintainers have to do is reply with:

  Acked-by: name <email>

Then, the poster will commit the patch or find someone who will. You've
probably seen this happen a few times on sugar-devel too.

In other projects, the maintainer is the only person who has commit
access to their tree, so they go ahead and merge the patch directly.

> I have noticed that several of the patches that I have reviewed this
> week could have been approved by now if somebody would have
> pre-reviewed them.

You're obviously disregarding the reviews done in the list. Almost every
patch posted was reviewed (either successfully or not).

> > iirc, you were opposed only to let any contributors approve patches for
> > Sugar modules with missing or unresponsive maintainers.
>
> I don't understand what you mean, can you rephrase?

My initial proposal to unstuck the review process was to let any
existing Sugar contributor approve patches posted by others.

You'll certainly remember this, because you commented that only those
who are able to appreciate the maintenance burden of a patch are to
decide on it.

That's fine, as long as there are enough maintainers to review patches
in a reasonable amount of time. If this is not the case, we could tune
our requirements for becoming a maintainer so that we'll have more.

There are many solutions to the problem of maintainer shortage, just
pick your favorite one. Except, maybe, halting development until the
planets come to the right alignment and maintainers of your liking start
to fall from the sky.

> How can you vote before you have a proposal? Or the proposal is "do
> whatever the linux kernel does"?

Would you like me to open a bug in trac and attach the proposal to it so
you can review it?

We've discussed the email-based review process once on IRC, in which you
agreed and asked to post the proposal to sugar-devel@, then a second
time on the thread following Sasha's summary. There was also a third
time, on the "Patchwork" thread. In all cases, you claimed to be in
favor for the general idea except for some minor points which I believe
have been addressed.

Tomeu, please, let's not start over from the beginning.