F14 os3 development image released (XO-1 and XO-1.5)

Yioryos Asprobounitis mavrothal at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 27 09:43:50 UTC 2010

--- On Sat, 11/27/10, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:

> From: Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org>
> Subject: Re: F14 os3 development image released (XO-1 and XO-1.5)
> To: "Bernie Innocenti" <bernie at codewiz.org>
> Cc: "OLPC Devel" <devel at lists.laptop.org>, "fedora-olpc-list" <fedora-olpc-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Saturday, November 27, 2010, 4:12 AM
> On 27 November 2010 02:43, Bernie
> Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org>
> wrote:
> >  * Despite the initrd optimization and ext4, boot
> time the same of
> >   before: 30 seconds (36 seconds on the first boot,
> due to ssh keys)
>
> The big difference is on XO-1.

Tried it on the XO-1.
os3 on the XO-1 boots 15 sec faster than the XO-1.5 running os353!

Power management on the XO-1 is the best in a long time. Only the wakeup flicker gives it away.

I do not know if it is my lucky day but the XO-1 (CL2) touchpad also feels considerably less jumpy, particularly when it runs with a swap partition (on an SDcard) which BTW is almost mandatory for adequate use.

Activities-wise as mentioned tam-tam and record do not work on the XO-1 too but terminal fonts are fine. No issues on GNOME other than Squeak that fails to launch because can not find the image (a problem with all F11/F14 builds in GNOME)

Overall a very nice and promising build.

The only issue is its size. Just the build with added audio/video codecs leaves ~220Mb free space and that's without wiki or library bundles.

Maybe F14 XO-1 builds could be build as (2-4GB) SDcard images.
NAND could be used for home and swap (or the other way around)