New F14-arm build os36 - Sugar in sync, device-tree!

Niels de Vos devos at fedoraproject.org
Tue Aug 9 13:49:42 UTC 2011

On Sun, Aug 07, 2011 at 12:40:33PM -0400, Chris Ball wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 06 2011, Niels de Vos wrote:
> >>     = We have device-tree! So what used to be in /ofw now appears in
> >> /proc/device-tree . Time to port bitfrost, dracut-modules-olpc, sugar
> >> control panel, olpc-utils. Thanks Andres, Mitch and Saadia!
> >
> > Wow, this is quite impressive! You must be one of the first that have this
> > in a real distribution for ARM :)
>
> I think ChromiumOS is using flattened trees, but we're also running Open
> Firmware and have it stay resident to be called into.

Ah, didn't know ChromiumOS used it too.

It may be that OpenFirmware makes it easier (as PPC gathered some
initial experience with FDT), it's very cool never the less!

> >>     = There is a new schedulear/timer patch from Lennert -- mystery
> >> minutes-long hangs should be gone for real now.
> >
> > Do you have any references like a git-commit or discussion on a
> > mailinglist for this? I'd like to match this with some other ARM
> > hardware (non/OLPC) issues I have seen.
>
> There's a description of our problem at:
>
> http://dev.laptop.org/git/olpc-kernel/commit/?h=arm-3.0&id=b8923ed0809f29e53bd246153ca3a9e9367b4c56

Nice description! As it's mach-mmp dependent, it's unlikely that I can
apply this for mx51 based systems. The information in the git-commit is
clear and I'll try to investigate if 'sporadic hangs' could be caused
due to missing events. (Which sounds sane, as it might happen when
the system is under high load.)

Many thanks for your reply,
Niels