12.1.0 devel build 2 released, for XO-1.5 and XO-1

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 08:28:31 UTC 2011

Known

> Surf works almost ok (though in /usr/share/sugar/activities :-?) with the exception of the big default fonts and no journal integration, but has occasional crashes.

Surf is an rpm included from SoaS. Its a short term thing until we get
a WebKit based browse and is known not to be perfect.

> On the gnome side things are more sketchy, with empathy crashing constantly and then the whole session crashes. (BTW Firefox 8 from the repo works fine in both sugar and gnome).

Next one should be better, there's some issues with it in Fedora at
the moment too.

> Also NM appears inconsistent. Some times fails while usually inherits Sugar settings automatically (a feature?).

The later is a feature, for former is not ;-) the Sugar work in
Networking is still a bit fresh so there's likely still a few bugs and
corner cases.

> Power management does not appear to work in Sugar, while in Gnome has several issues mostly known and fixed in earlier builds (like remounting devices, dropping connections etc) and a new one: dimming the screen after 15 sec of inactivity!
> Hopefully this is not a feature ;-)

No. The move from F14 to F17 as there's been many bits changed
upstream. gtk3, gnome3, systemd, NetworkManager 0.9, etc just to name
a few.

> The other issue is the size of the build and the limited free space (~170MB) but I guess this is because packages removed in 11.3.0 are still included.

The XO-1 build includes gnome and everything the XO 1.5 currently does
so that expected but its not really designed to be a day to day use
build but rather more as a usable testbed for developers testings the
gtk3/webkit/gobject-intropection migrations.

> Overall I would say that os2 exceeded my expectations for such an early build!
> Let us know when will be open for tickets or care for more extensive testing at this early stage.

I think it will be a little while yet. Fedora 17 alpha isn't until Feb
2012 and we don't even have the core sugar 0.96 features in yet.

Thanks for testing though.

Peter