11.3.0 build 7 released, for XO-1.75, XO-1.5 and XO-1

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Tue Sep 27 14:26:39 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Kevin Gordon <kgordon420 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Should I assume from the fix list that the tap-to-click which is running on
> all 150 of our XO 1.5's using stable build 11-2 is an unintended
> manufacturing/assembiy 'feature' of the newer trackpad production; i.e., a
> bug, and not a desired feature?

Thats right.
Our previous touchpads had tap-to-click on for a long time and it was
the cause of a lot of disruption and confusion in the field. Search
the archives for more info.

> Some of our users were now liking the similarity to their other devices, and
> yes of course others hated it.  The general hope among this group was that
> it would become a user selectable behaviour setting through a
> keyobard/trackpad applet in My Settings.   Alas, should I be informing the
> deployed users not to get used to it, because it will be gone again in the
> final 11-3? Or, does the AVC adjective limit this fix to a specific
> architecture build?

In this build you can enable tap to click by modifying
/etc/modprobe.d/olpc-psmouse.conf.
This is the same for older laptops which have synaptics touchpads.

In future builds the methodology needed to make this customisation may
change, but we'll do our best to leave the option in some accessible
place, and potentially in the UI later on.

Daniel