[Fedora-packaging] Re: DKMS into Fedora Extras

Chuck R. Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Tue Feb 22 14:11:48 UTC 2005

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 11:01:05PM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> so the kernel module has changed version  - but not kernel.
> so it really, actually, needs to be updated.
>
> which isn't a problem - except that b/c the pkg name is the same - an
> update will remove ALL the older versions for that package.
>
> so if you have:
> kernel-module
> ver=1.0.9
> release=2.6.9-1ac-15
>
> installed - then that goes away on an update.
>
> Maybe I missed it but I'm not sure how his proposal solves for that
> case.

I think you missed my logic for this case.  If there would be an
update for a kernel-module, and the update has the same Requires: as
an existing installed kernel-module of the same name, then replace the
installed one with the new one, but don't touch any others that have
Requires: for a different kernel.  Repeat for each kernel version.  In
other words, you limit updates to within the universe of each distinct
Requires: on another multiple-installable package, so that you don't
wipe out the other parallel installations.