[Fedora-packaging] Naming Policy (first draft)

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Thu Feb 24 10:26:45 UTC 2005

Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote :

> Working as fast as I can... here is the first draft of the Naming Policy
> for Fedora Extras. Its not 100% complete yet, there are at least two
> sections missing, but it covers the bases for most new packagers.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageNamingGuidelines
>
> Feedback is welcome, and encouraged.

One thing : In the "Renaming a package" section, you put :

Provides: foo
Obsoletes: foo

I'd prefer having those versionned to the version of the last known package
released with that name, in case the package should be renamed back some
day. Typically :

You have foo = 1.0-1 that you want to rename to libfoo, then :

Provides: foo = %{version}-%{release}
Obsoletes: foo <= 1.0-1

Now, say the upstream project changes the name to "foo" for their 1.1
release... having those versions in will save a lot of trouble for upgrades
and updates when changing back to the new upstream name.

Thoughts?

Matthias

Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg) - Linux kernel 2.6.10-1.766_FC3
Load : 0.18 0.32 0.27