[Fedora-packaging] disttag

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Thu Feb 24 23:49:27 UTC 2005

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 17:28 -0600, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
>
> >With macros like these, it is then possible to use %{disttag} in the
> >spec to allow a single spec file to be used for multiple versions of
> >Fedora (and outside of Fedora Extras, for RHEL and RHL).
>
> Addendum:
>
> The %{disttag} values would be:
>
> RH6.2, RH7.0, RH7.1, RH7.2, RH7.3, RH8.0, RH9
> EL2.1, EL3, EL4
> FC1, FC2, FC3, FC4, ...

With the high probability of being flamed again, RPMforge settled for:

0.el2 < 0.rh7 < 0.rh8 < 0.rh9 < 1.el3 < 1.fc1 < 1.fc2 < 1.fc3 < 2.el4 < 2.fc4 < 2.fc5

with the advantage of having an upgrade path between EL and FC. I know
it's controversial but at least if fulfills an important goal (even though
Red Hat does not support upgrades between Fedora and Enterprise).

In the past one of the problems was that RH > FC and therefor RH9 packages
would be newer than FC1 packages. The current scheme makes us independant
of whatever new name will be given by marketing if we are somewhere in
2008.

There is a known catch here with this scheme (numeric part of disttag in
release part).

Disttags are never part of the SPEC file in our case but the
pre-processing of the SPEC file before building makes sure it is there
when it is needed.

We also have a special disttag '0' to indicate a distribution-agnostic
package. Which we mainly use for big packages (artwork, game data, ...).

Kind regards,