[Fedora-packaging] Updated kernel-module-packaging example with ndiswrapper (Was: example kernel-module package)

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed Jul 6 15:28:32 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 18:16 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:

> - in the beginning, we have only kernel X
> - rebuild a kernel-module-foo package for it, results:
>   - k-m-foo-1.0-1.src.rpm
>   - k-m-foo-1.0-1.X...rpm (all smp, xen0 etc variants and archs)
> - the above get pushed to the repository
> - then, kernel Y is released, rebuild k-m-foo (which has had no changes
>   in the meantime) for it, results:
>   - k-m-foo-1.0-1.src.rpm
>   - k-m-foo-1.0-1.Y...rpm (all smp, xen0 etc variants and archs)
>
> Do we discard the new k-m-foo-1.0-1.src.rpm or overwrite the one which
> is already in the repository?

I vote we discard the new one.

> Or do we solve this with a policy (assuming the process you described
> above would be implemented): "always bump the release of the "main"
> package of a module package before building it for a new kernel"?
> That'd result in only one srpm per module package per released kernel
> "family".

It would also result in unnecessary package upgrades.

> > Also, if possible, it would be awesome if the buildsystem could
> > automatically do a build when a new kernel goes into FC (for that kernel
> > only). Barring that, it would be nice if there was some way for
> > kernel-module-* maintainers to be notified of the new kernel update in
> > advance.
>
> Sure.  But I'm becoming worried about this discussion already placing
> requirements on the build system, which will delay our ability to ship
> any module packages even further.  We could start with something much
> simpler; several suggestions have already been outlined in this thread.
> The day "make build" would allow specifying the arch, we could start
> building and shipping the packages, and could improve the process
> incrementally.

The build system has other issues. Right now, I don't think it can deal
with ExclusiveArch correctly. If it did, then we could just have "make
build" parse ExclusiveArch for kernel-module packages, and build for all
those arches. I've CC'd seth and dan to see what they say.

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Senior Sales Engineer || GPG ID: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!