[Fedora-packaging] Building src.rpm's outside of mock/mach

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sun Jul 17 04:53:23 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 00:45 -0700, Michael A. Peters wrote:

> Is it a packaging error if a src.rpm can only be expected to reliably
> build inside mock/mach?
IMO, yes, definitely - Package building/re-building must be
deterministically reproduce the same results in both chroot'ed and
non-chroot'ed environments.

> If it is a packaging error, what would be the best course of action?
IMO, if a package can't be rebuilt in a user environment it qualifies as
broken and "not ready for release".

> Some solutions include manually installing what you DO want to package
That would be a packager's hack/resort to work around a broken package.

> (what I have been doing), perhaps a bunch of configure switches telling
> configure not to build all of the plugins you don't intend to package,
> or telling rpm to ignore unpackaged files.
Yes, this would be an approach upstream could choose to fix such issues.

Ralf