[Fedora-packaging] disttag

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Tue Mar 1 04:56:02 UTC 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:29:26 -0600, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:

> Its either:
> We use %{?disttag:.%{disttag}} in the Release: field, and we
> conditionalize like this: %if "%{disttag}" == "2.fc3"
>
> Or, we use %{?disttag:%{disttag}} in the Release: field, and we
> conditionalize like this: %if "%{disttag}" == ".2.fc3"

I hope we never conditionalise like that, where we must look up weird dist
tags in a table, because we don't have an easier way how to determine the
actual build target platform conditionally.

If we go as far as evaluating %{disttag} instead of keeping it fully
optional -- %{?disttag:...} means it can be undefined (!) -- we better
define an unambiguous %{dist} or %{distribution} constant somewhere.

> It doesn't matter to me. I'd prefer the extra period in the Release
> field with the simplified conditionals, but if everyone else prefers the
> other way around, then I'll document the other way.

+1 to Enrico's view. A simple and clean %{?disttag} appended to the release
field. And since it can expand to virtually everything, don't abuse it for
conditionally _guessing_ build platforms.