[Fedora-packaging] Removing all zero epochs from spec files in devel branch

Cristian Gafton gafton at redhat.com
Thu Mar 3 18:11:44 UTC 2005

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Ville [ISO-8859-1] Skyttä wrote:

>> If anyone is _opposed_ to this change, please voice yourself now.
>
> As long as it triggers known bugs in the distro version where this
> action is targeted at, rpm in particular; I am.

I'd rather deal with the bugs than keep this thing around. It is
embarassing to grown people that have packaged lots of stuff in their
lifetimes.

Plus, all current versions of rpm should deal with this issue correctly.
The only stuff that breaks is the rpm --freshen on older releases of rpm.
Did I mention that rpm has been security errata'd several times since?

As I mentioned before, we're releasing these packages as part of a yum
repository. If you download them manually from the web and use rpm
--freshen instead of yum to update them, you get to keep all the broken
pieces.

I don't think we should care. A fringe usage gets a fringe result.
So what?

Cristian
Cristian Gafton     --     gafton at redhat.com      --     Red Hat, Inc.