[Fedora-packaging] Removing all zero epochs from spec files in devel branch

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Thu Mar 3 18:40:42 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 12:11 -0600, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 13:11 -0500, Cristian Gafton wrote:
>
> >Plus, all current versions of rpm should deal with this issue correctly.
> >The only stuff that breaks is the rpm --freshen on older releases of rpm.
> >Did I mention that rpm has been security errata'd several times since?
>
> No, current rpm --freshen breaks too. My patch has not been taken into
> rawhide rpm. I spoke to jbj about it this morning, and he responded by
> curling into his little "political bullshit" ball and insisting that he
> had to maintain existing freshen behavior for people that depend on it.
>
> Does anyone even use --freshen these days? I don't think yum/apt uses
> it...

People using rpm --freshen to do these kind of upgrades are either nuts
enough to deal with the breakage using a bit of shell-scripting or
whatever or should be educated to use proper tools for the job, pick any
depsolver you prefer (rpm --freshen is part of rpm cli operations, not
rpmlib so none of the depsolvers are affected).

Kill the damn zero epochs finally, pretty please.

	- Panu -