[Fedora-packaging] Re: Attention kernel module project packagers!

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Aug 15 13:27:34 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 15 August 2006 08:48, David Woodhouse wrote:
> I think this argument is invalid. We should ban _all_ module packages
> from Core and Extras anyway.

I'm with David on this one.  Packaging of modules is the path to insanity.  It
requires all kinds of weird hacks to how they are built, how they are named,
how they are handled by rpm and depsolvers, they always lag, they always hold
users behind when critical kernel fixes come out, etc, etc, etc...

I personally feel (as does David) that if the module isn't good enough for
upstream, then it would HAVE to live in the kernel package itself.  If it's
not good enough for the kernel package itself, then it isn't good enough for
Fedora.  (Same could be applied to RHEL, but that's a battle for a different
list).

Arguing over which ugly ass hack to apply to be able to package kernel modules
is a bikeshed argument.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora