[Fedora-packaging] Kernel Module Packaging Standard Teleconference

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Aug 16 06:35:18 UTC 2006

Warren Togami schrieb:
> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> Warren Togami schrieb:
>>> After weeks of discourse on IRC and mailing list discussions,
>>  [...]
>>> In order to make this meeting manageable, we must limit the number of
>>> attendees.  Invited are the existing members of the Fedora Packaging
>>> Committee, Thorsten Leemhuis and certain Red Hat employees relevant
>>> to this discussion.  Please talk to me directly if you have been an
>>> active contributor to this in the past but are not included in this
>>> invitee list.
>> There were no discussions on IRC (Axel invited me once but I couldn't
>> join it -- private matters were blocking, sorry). I really would
>> prefer a IRC disussion over a Teleconference -- that's IMHO the better
>> to coordinate and a lot easier for those of us that don't speak
>> english that often.
>
> Hmm, good point about English, it could very well make it difficult for
> us to communicate.

IRC IMHO has even one more benefit that would help in this especially in
this case: You can paste URLs to mails in the archive or on the web.

Further: multiple people can write in parallel (that's a advantage and a
disadvantage at the same time). A disadvantage of telephone conferences:
they often consume all of your attention -- in an IRC-Meeing you can go
afk for one minute if there is a need to and read what happened in between

> The important thing is for someone neutral to drive the process,
> hopefully Spot can do it.  The driver of this meeting must act as
> mediator.  We must all stay away from recriminations and stick to the
> technical points.  Go down all questions and concerns and discuss each
> point.  If someone doesn't understand then implications must be explained.

Agreed.

> Then matters must come down to a vote after context is understood.

Just to make sure: One vote per "technical point"?

> Perhaps given this format, IRC may work better.

+1

> We can think about this
> a bit more as we also figure out if all of the key players are available
> at that time on Friday.  We'll see.

CU
thl