[Fedora-packaging] Re: Kernel Module Packaging Standard Teleconference

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Aug 16 10:43:01 UTC 2006

On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 10:08:37AM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 20:16 -0400, Warren Togami wrote:
> As I didn't have the time to follow all these discussions and threads,
> and to have a basis for such an IRC-conference, I would appreciate if
> Axel and Thorsten could write up a "my proposal at one glance" outline.

I setup an executive summary of the comparison for you and for other
people external to the discussion until now who would like to join in
on Friday:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/AxelThimm/kmdls/kmods_vs_kmdls_at_a_glance

and the details remain under

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/AxelThimm/kmdls

So if something looks unclear in the tabular summary please check the
second link for a more verbose version.

> I would be particularly interested in their proposals's macroscopic
> behavior and interaction with rpmbuild, mock, rpm -U|-I, the impact on
> yum/apt/smart.

I tried to add every issue that has been raised to date.

And I have even rated the issues in an objective and fair manner as
possible (I added all arguments against kmdls and even rated them
negative). I invite anyone to add his ratings, too. While the single
items are all factually correct (nobody really denies the technical
background anymore) the differences between kmdl and kmod opponents
are in the personal weighing of consequences.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net