[Fedora-packaging] The .pc and pkgconfig issue

Christopher Stone chris.stone at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 19:07:25 UTC 2006

On 8/17/06, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 17 August 2006 00:34, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> > It seems Matthias Clasen (mclasen at redhat.com) wants to debate this and
> > I'm not sure what to do. I don't have any arguments other than
> > directory ownership and "that's what the committee decided".
>
> My comments (put in bugzilla and discussed on IRC last night)
>
> Until such time as the filesystem package owns the %{_libdir}/pkgconfig
> directory, this guideline will stand.  If filesystem owns the directory and we
> remove the fact that many packages could end up owning it, we can revisit this
> issue and possible remove the necessity on pkgconfig for any file that drops a
> .pc file.  However the former needs to happen before we discuss the latter.

This doesn't make any sense at all.

It doesn't make any sense to have /usr/lib[64]/pkgconfig owned by filesystem.

And even, for the sake of argument, that it did.

You will still be requireing that every package that include a devel
package with a .pc also Require pkgconfig in order to parse that .pc
file.  So by changing the directory ownership from one package to
another (which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever) still gains you
absolutely nothing, or actually gains you more problems than what we
originally had.

QED.  End of stupid discussion.