[Fedora-packaging] RESEND: REPORT: IRC meeting to discuss kernel module packaging

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Fri Aug 18 23:57:47 UTC 2006

[ Original message with attachment exceeded mailing list accepted size ]

Hi folks,

We just had a little gathering on #fedora-packaging to discuss what to
do about kernel module packaging in FC6 and beyond. The logs are
attached inline to this message for archival, though none of these
points have been put to a vote at this point for an official seal.

The inclination of most of us present was to accept my proposal that we
fix the fedorakmod plugin to handle older kernels in time for FC6 (that
being an identifiable key issue with kmods right now). We should then
re-address the whole kernel module packaging standard in the FC7
time-frame with a view to considering how introducing kABI checks,
fixing identified failings, and taking on comments from Axel (and
others) can best result in an improved packaging system.

We decided to have regular IRC meetings following FC6 in order to look
again at the packaging process and make some recommendations for a new
modified standard for packaging modules. Although we would like not to
re-invent the wheel, there are legitimate issues to look at later on.

Jon.

P.S. http://fremont.jonmasters.org/~jcm/fedora-packaging_20060818.log

--
Jon Masters                  Phone: +44 7776 131337
Red Hat UK, Ltd.             Email: jcm at redhat.com