[Fedora-packaging] rpm -i, "missing" file conflicts and brokenness with kmods

Jack Neely jjneely at ncsu.edu
Sat Aug 19 22:25:30 UTC 2006

Axel,

There's a fundamental misunderstanding here about using rpm -i.  You
claim that it does not function for kmods.  Most of us consider your
examples for this an upgrade path rather than an install path.

We consider rpm -i only useful for the install path where there are no
other kernel modules of that name installed on the system.  So, when no
previous versions of a specific kernel module are installed and we use
rpm -i to install one, there are no file conflicts.  The package is
installed correctly.

Other cases are considered upgrade paths and we agree that rpm -U does
not give the desired behavior.  rpm -i should not be used for an upgrade
path as it does not work for any package at all.

Jack
--
Jack Neely <jjneely at ncsu.edu>
Campus Linux Services Project Lead