[Fedora-packaging] Absolute symlinks

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Tue Aug 22 04:21:41 UTC 2006

rpmlint spits symlink-should-be-relative warnings when it sees an
absolute symlink, and generally folks have fixed things up when
presented with the warning.  But now I've hit a review where the
packager thinks an absolute symlink is appropriate and I'm not sure
whether it's really an issue.  The guidelines are silent on the
subject; the only mention I see of it is in the mono guidelines, which
say:

----
Mono installs binaries in /usr/lib/<package>/bin with symlinks back to
/usr/bin. rpmlint is not happy with this and generates an error (which
is the correct behaviour).
----

That statement is somewhat confusing; is generating the error correct
behavior?  Is the symlink supposed to be fixed up or not?  And does
this apply in general to non-mono packages?

 - J<