[Fedora-packaging] Re: Packaging/Guidelines - Usage of %{optflags}

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Aug 23 14:36:27 UTC 2006

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 04:12:56PM +0200, Till Maas wrote:
> at this time the Packaging-Guidelines do not mention whether or not
> %{optflags} should / must be used. They are used everytime
> %configure is executed, but there are also packages that do not have
> a ./configure script and for this reason would not use the
> %{optflags}. The flags in %{optflags} contain not only optimization
> but also security flags. For this reason I suggest that the
> Guidelines state that they have to be used. This will also help new
> contributors to know about this.

I agree, but I'd make that a recommendation instead. There are a
couple of packages known to break with some optimization flags, most
notably such using hand-crafted asm and not tolerating any
misalignments of structures.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net