[Fedora-packaging] Re: kernel module packaging

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon Jun 5 12:55:59 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-05 at 13:29 +0100, Jon Masters wrote:

> Ok. Well, given that it doesn't hurt packagers or make their lives
> more difficult - isn't it worth making this available to them anyway?
> I'm cool with whatever the Fedora community want.

The problem is this:

By documenting it as part of our standards, we're implying that it is
something with benefit to the packagers. Since there is no kernel ABI in
Fedora or upstream (remember, all kernel ABIs in RHEL are artificial
constructs), it does hurt packagers who are unaware of this fact. It
leads them to believe that they don't need to use the full Requires:
%{version}-%{release} in kernel-module addon packages, when they
absolutely do.

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Senior Sales Engineer || GPG ID: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!