[Fedora-packaging] proper way to install emacs lisp add-ons?

Zing shishz at hotpop.com
Mon Jun 5 23:53:08 UTC 2006

I'm looking into packaging gtypist, which has an emacs add-on:
gtypist-mode.{el,elc}

I'd like to just put %{_datadir}/emacs/site-lisp/* in %files and be done
with it but this seems to go in direct opposition to the following:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ReviewGuidelines

MUST: A package must own all directories that it creates. If it does not
create a directory that it uses, then it should require a package which
does create that directory. The exception to this are directories listed
explicitly in the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard ([WWW]
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html), as it is safe to assume
that those directories exist.

MUST: Packages must not own files or directories already owned by other
packages. The rule of thumb here is that the first package to be installed
should own the files or directories that other packages may rely upon.
This means, for example, that no package in Fedora should ever share
ownership with any of the files or directories owned by the filesystem or
man package. If you feel that you have a good reason to own a file or
directory that another package owns, then please present that at package
review time.

So I can (in my personal ascending in preference):

1. Require: emacs (this doesn't seem reasonable for people who
don't use emacs since the lisp add-ons are usually optional)
2. do something like cscope and use triggers (just say no to triggers).
3. create a sub-package just for the emacs lisp add-on. (seems cleanest,
but is there a naming guideline for this situation? What would the name
be? Is this worth the effort?)

or... 4. Can I just go ahead with %{_datadir}/emacs/site-lisp/*? :)

zing