[Fedora-packaging] proper way to install emacs lisp add-ons?

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Tue Jun 6 18:38:24 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 19:07 +0100, Jose Pedro Oliveira wrote:

> >>  * bash-completion file
> >>
> >> it appears to me a little overkill to create a subpackage but I am
> >> opened to suggestions.
> >>
> > Overkill but arguably the cleanest.
>
> Yes. And you still haven't seen the scripts to install vim syntax
> files ;)
>
> See the FE asymptote package (specfile also available here
> http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/jpo/software/fedora/asymptote.spec).
>
> Again suggestions are welcome to avoid those fragile scripts.

Icky :-(  I can't think of a way to make them more robust, though.

I'd be inclined to make a subpackage for the vim syntax files.  The
emacs trigger scripts are reasonably understandable and work over a wide
range of emacs versions (I haven't gone back far enough to find a RHL
release on which they won't work.)  If upstream vim keeps up their
release pace, the vim trigger scripts will be broken within two years.

Additionally, the %ghost trick used for both vim and emacs cleanup will
cause double ownership of directories which spot says is not just
deprecated but a blocker.