[Fedora-packaging] -devel rpms with pkgconfig files should 'Requires: pkgconfig'

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Jun 21 13:16:28 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 07:31 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ReviewGuidelines
> it includes:
> - MUST: Files used by pkgconfig (.pc files) must be in a -devel package.
>
> I'd suggest amending this to say (something like)
> - MUST: Files used by pkgconfig (.pc files) must be in a -devel package,
> and the -devel package include 'Requires: pkgconfig'
>
> We've got quite a few such packages, and lots of things will break when
> FE switches to the minimal buildroot that no longer includes pkgconfig.

I'm not so sure I agree with this.  The -devel packages can be used
w/out pkgconfig and many are.  Forcing pkgconfig on other packages may
not be the best case.  I feel that if you are building a package, and
THAT package needs to make use of pkg-config to find the right things,
then that package should BuildRequires: pkgconfig.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora