[Fedora-packaging] -devel rpms with pkgconfig files should 'Requires: pkgconfig'

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Wed Jun 21 13:45:43 UTC 2006

Rex Dieter wrote:
>> Jesse Keating wrote:

>>> I'm not so sure I agree with this.  The -devel packages can be used
>>> w/out pkgconfig and many are.
>>
>> Most -devel packages with .pc files (that I'm aware of) can *not* be
>> used w/out pkgconfig.
>
> Let me rephrase, apps that BR: -devel packages that support pkg-config
> (most) often (need to) use pkg-config to detect the presense of the
> -devel package.

In particular, every app that uses auto* tools, and uses the
PKG_CHECK_MODULES macro in ./configure.  I can vouge that this includes
*every* kde application I know.  Please don't force app packagers to
have to figure out if their ./configure script(s) use this macro or not,
I'd much rather things "just work".

-- Rex